Service providers that NAT their whole network?

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Fri Apr 15 20:06:04 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Philip" == Philip Matthews <matthews at nimcatnetworks.com> writes:

 Philip> A number of IETF documents(*) state that there are some
 Philip> service providers that place a NAT box in front of their
 Philip> entire network, so all their customers get private addresses
 Philip> rather than public address.  It is often stated that these
 Philip> are primarily cable-based providers.

 Philip> I am trying to get a handle on how common this practice is.
 Philip> No one that I have asked seems to know any provider that does
 Philip> this,

fastweb.it in Italy, and the Direcway satellite system in the US are
the most obvious examples that I know of. I'm sure there are more.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com