New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Fri Apr 15 16:07:19 UTC 2005

Daniel Golding wrote:

>If you take a look at the dslreports.com forums, there are numerous
>complains about DNS performance from various DSL and cable modem users. I'm
>not sure how reasonable these complains are. The usual solution from other
>users is to install a piece of Windows software called "Treewalk" which will
>magically cure their problems.

Consumer ISP's who don't proactively take care of security/abuse usually
end up with harvesting-bots which consume significant amount of DNS
resources, typically doing anything from a few dozen to a thousand
queries _a_second_. A few hundred of these will seriously hamper an
usually provisioned recursive server.

Pete