New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Fri Apr 15 12:59:07 UTC 2005

Jerry,

Too late. Every Mac ships with a working version of BIND. Its not enabled by
default, but it can be turned on with a few keystrokes.

If you take a look at the dslreports.com forums, there are numerous
complains about DNS performance from various DSL and cable modem users. I'm
not sure how reasonable these complains are. The usual solution from other
users is to install a piece of Windows software called "Treewalk" which will
magically cure their problems.

Guess what "Treewalk" is? Yep, its a freeware recursive DNS server (
http://ntcanuck.com/). I have no idea how well behaved it is, but its
getting deployed pretty widely on user's machines.

I also wonder how long it will be before home routers have DNS servers
built-in, with a switch to let users select between iterative queries of
their upstream's DNS and a normal recursive query. Has anyone seen this in
the consumer market?

- Dan

--
Daniel Golding
Network and Telecommunications Strategies