New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Apr 15 05:31:00 UTC 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 1:13 AM, Jerry Pasker wrote:

> Jeff Cole wrote:
>>
>> Run bind locally on your laptop. There's a Win32 version available if
>> you're not running some sort of Unix or Linux on there. It's what I
>> do as my ISP's DNS is wonky at times, as is $ork's as they choose to
>> use Active Directory for DNS.
>
> For the sake of the root servers, I hope everyone doesn't start doing
> this.

Well configured laptops will not put that much pressure on the roots.
A single misconfigured / broken recursive name server puts a lot more
pressure on the roots than lots of well-configured laptops.

I guess one could argue that the chance of misconfiguration go up as
the number of systems goes up.

--
TTFN,
patrick