New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Jeff Cole jeff at flambe.org
Fri Apr 15 03:28:03 UTC 2005

Brandon Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Sean Donelan wrote:
>> Its called DHCP/PPP, both will auto-magically configure the correct DNS
> Which doesn't work very well when your provider cannot keep a DNS server
> up for 10 minutes at a time.  See the beginning of this thread.

Run bind locally on your laptop. There's a Win32 version available if
you're not running some sort of Unix or Linux on there. It's what I do
as my ISP's DNS is wonky at times, as is $ork's as they choose to use
Active Directory for DNS.

Setup different named.conf files for home/work/travel/etc, and a trivial
batch file or shell script to copy the relevant named.conf file into
play and run rndc reload, and you're good to go.