OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Fri Apr 15 02:12:36 UTC 2005

This is part of the game.

Party A depeers Party B. Party B has received 30 to 60 days notification.
That gives party B enough time to do one of two things.

1) They can ensure they have sufficient transit and/or peering with Party
A's customers to ensure that all packets will be delivered. They can make
sure that they are seeing all of A's routes through those other networks.
This is what's called "being good to your customers"

2) They can take the time to put measures in place to punish party A. Things
like route filters to make sure that the only places A gets B's routes are
through the (soon to be gone) direct peering. Things like canceling or
turning down enough transit so they can claim they CAN'T send the traffic
anywhere else. Things like filtering out A's routes from their upstream's
BGP feeds. This is called "try to inflict enough pain to effect a reversal"

#2 is the stand-off scenario. The next step is, will party B keep up their
fortress defense or go home? Will party A back down and turn the peering
back up? How long can party B go without their customers canceling?

Much of this depends on the relative size of A and B, as well as their
customer mixes. If party B is a small porn hoster and party A is a big
broadband ISP, then A has nothing to worry about - evidence suggests there
won't be many complaints. Customers will be upset, but they won't complain.

If party B is hosting something more socially acceptable (if equally
pointless) like fantasy football or a popular Everquest server, well, things
just got dicey for party A. Party A may just back down.

Game theory is fun, folks! With real money on the line, its also very
interesting.

- Dan

--
Daniel Golding
Network and Telecommunications Strategies