New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Apr 14 23:11:15 UTC 2005

Peter John Hill wrote:

> I just don't want my wife to complain to me that she could not check her
> email because "the Internet was broken"

Serious answer to a non-serious comment:

The group that reads this mailing list can be assumed to be more technically
savvy than most people, right?

OK.

So, I run my own DNS server and have a guy providing three secondaries. I use
mine and one of his (the one that is geographically distant from mine, as well
as on a different segment of Internet), instead of my cable company's, because
their DNS servers don't seem to see zone updates as quickly as I'd like them to
see them.

I run my own mail server, from which my family's mailboxes are served. This is
mainly due to my irrational preference to have 100% control over my email. ;)

No reason why others couldn't do something similar, unless Comcast is blocking
53/udp (mainly) and 53/tcp. (NB: My cable company is not Comcast, but it is one
of the other large providers. NB also that while I get my IP address via DHCP,
I choose not to use the DNS servers offered to me when I renew my DHCP lease.)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

     --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"