Anyone familiar with the SBC product lingo?

Jerry Pasker info at n-connect.net
Thu Apr 14 22:09:47 UTC 2005

>(Anybody here *NOT* seen cases where the 2 fibers leave the building
>on opposite
>sides, go down different streets - and rejoin 2 miles down the way because
>there's only one convenient bridge/tunnel/etc over the river, or similar?)

Even if that's not the case, and it's still perfectly separated all
the way to the CO, the CO is a common point of failure.  Granted, the
failure modes are very unlikely to occur for a CO, but they do exist.
Those two separate paths of the ring have a way of always coming
together somewhere, by design.

The only way to insure that doesn't happen is to have two sources of
connectivity to a building, from two separate local carriers that
have fiber going in two opposite directions (eg., one carrier to the
east, one to the west), to two opposite area codes/LATAs that get
transit from two different transit providers that have POPs in cities
that are geographically the furthest apart (one to the north, one to
the south, or east west, or whatever).  As long as everything keeps
heading in complete opposite directions, it becomes very assured that
the common modes of failure diminish with distance.

This tactic works, and works well with IP using BGP, but it's
something that would be beyond my scope of expertise to attempt to
implement with anything else.

(someone mentioned earlier charging the 2 9's rate for providing 5
9's service...... it was a wake up call to myself.....I'm that guy!)

On a somewhat related, but kind of a little off topic note:

It always makes me chuckle inside to hear data centers tout their
"dual grid connections" as a way to insure that the power "is hardly
ever interrupted"  Same basic principal.  Sure they might be separate
distribution feeders, and they might even come from separate
distribution substations, and the subtransmission that feeds the
distribution substations might even come from separate transmission
substations... but within about a minimum of a 60-100 mile radius,
it's nearly always connected together by the transmission grid.

Now, if there was a data center that had a power feed connection to
say, ERCOT, the Eastern Interconnection, and the Western
Interconnection.... THAT would be something to brag about.