OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Apr 14 21:29:46 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

>> Surely FT's customers pay for access to Cogents network and vice
>> versa?
>
> In such a case, FT has done its part by paying Sprint for full transit
> service. It is Cogent who is not accepting the route from their
> transit,
> and who intentionally does not carry the global routing table. If I
> put up
> a filter on my transit that says I will not accept routes from you
> unless
> you peer with me, should your customers leave you because I did this?
> Doesn't sound very fair to me. I guess it depends how important I am,
> doesn't it?

Is Cogent filtering the prefixes they get from Verio?  Or is Verio
filtering what they send to Cogent?  Does it matter?

I think you have a very good point - FT is buying full transit.  Cogent
is the one without full reachability.

Doesn't mean that FT didn't know this would be a problem when they took
the step, though.

--
TTFN,
patrick