Anyone familiar with the SBC product lingo?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 21:19:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 17:12 -0400, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2005, at 5:07 PM, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
>
> > when this has been critical i've insisted on seeing duct maps to
> > ensure they
> > really are different. but as you say even that doesnt prevent a change
> > of path
> > in the future
> >
> > i guess it helps us to know a bit more than the average circuit buyer
> > tho too..
>
> I've seen duct maps which "proved" the fibers were truly diverse, but
> somehow the circuit died with a single backhoe strike.

The way to somewhat solve this problem is to buy a 12 pack (or two) for
the tech(s) that are setting up your circuit.  Get to know them and ask
them about the pathing and what they know about common conduits,
tunneling, railroad tracks and/or watermains subject to being dug up on
the weekend, etc.

Whatever you do, don't trust the sales or support people to know.   They
mean well, but their interests aren't in keeping their butt in a warm
bed in the middle of a winter weekend night.

-Jim P.