OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Apr 14 21:16:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:58:08PM +0100, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> > If Cogent cared about connectivity to FT's customers, it
> > would man up and pay for the transit to reach them. However,
> > Cogent cares more about the long-term benefits of settlement
> > free transit than it does about the short term benefits of
> > being able to reach FT's customers today, so they choose not
> > to pay for the transit in the hopes that FT will blink. Not
> > that there is anything wrong with that, but that is the cold
> > hard reality of the decision that they have made. It might
> > even be the right decision. If you don't like it, no one is
> > putting a gun to your head and making you buy Cogent (or FT) transit.
>
> Surely FT's customers pay for access to Cogents network and vice versa?

In such a case, FT has done its part by paying Sprint for full transit
service. It is Cogent who is not accepting the route from their transit,
and who intentionally does not carry the global routing table. If I put up
a filter on my transit that says I will not accept routes from you unless
you peer with me, should your customers leave you because I did this?
Doesn't sound very fair to me. I guess it depends how important I am,
doesn't it?

If I may, you sound like someone whom FT has depeered in the past? :)