OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Apr 14 20:13:33 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Alexander Koch wrote:

>> [..] If I was an FT customer and
>> I'd seen this signal I'd be phoning Cogent now for a quote.
>
> I want my packets to make it to the destination. For some
> Euros more I get real transit from real networks. See, all
> the world is fine again. He who wants to save even more
> money gets what he pays for.
>
> I bet your viewpoint would maybe change if you had nearly
> exclusively DSL traffic and hardly B2B- type traffic. I
> could be wrong, of course.

You are wrong.  I've heard the stories & rumors, but empirical evidence
 > "so-and-so said".  We send more than enough bit over Cogent to both
business and broadband users to be statistically significant, and the
packets get there.  "YMMV", but our _experience_ sending packets over
AS174 is more than acceptable.

Do you have any real experience sending traffic over / through AS174?

To be clear, I could say the same about FT.  Both run perfectly fine
networks, and both give very decent pricing.  This is not to say we
have never had a problem - we've had problems with every network on the
'Net pretty much.  But we were happy with both of them - until now.

And if they don't get their collective acts together, I am certain they
will both lose a lot of customers.

--
TTFN,
patrick