New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Peter John Hill peterjhill at cmu.edu
Thu Apr 14 19:03:03 UTC 2005

Do you understand anycast? Do you understand how different operating
systems react to failures of configured dns servers?

You really need to look into anycast and see why it is used. Perhaps
the comcast people are as naive as you about dns... Check out:
http://www.net.cmu.edu/pres/anycast/

or my favorite: http://www.net.cmu.edu/pres/lisa03/

This excellent presentation will help you with your understanding:

"In configuring multiple hosts to respond to the same address,
stateless protocols such as DNS can be easily scaled. Servers can be
located in closer proximity to clients, providing faster responses to
queries. In the event of a single host failure, routes can quickly be
withdrawn and servers in other locations handle the request traffic,
all without any changes to client configurations.

  Recursive DNS clients built into many of today's operating systems
deal rather poorly with a failure of their primary recursive server. Of
eight operating systems evaluated in a recent survey, seven kept no
history of failed servers, trying each DNS query against the first
server and waiting for a response before moving to secondary servers.
Using anycast, service is maintained even in the face of a single or
multiple host failure. This substantially reduces resolution delays due
to server failure."

Peter Hill