New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 18:59:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 14:24 -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:

> The point is, anycast is not the issue. Reliable service is the issue. DNS
> isn't their only issue, of course (that they're single-homed to AT&T adds
> to their unreliability, not that they can fix that at present).

The deeper issue is that most Comcast customers (and I am one) don't
have an SLA, don't have a pressing need, and don't really care to pay
more for a resilient infrastructure at Comcast (or any other +90% home
provider).  If I wanted to run a business out of my home I would bring
in some SLA backed bandwidth.  I don't think that is unreasonable.

When Comcast goes down at home I hop in the car or walk a few blocks to
one of many wifi outlets (some even free).  Yes, that does make it
difficult to check email or pay bills at 6am in my bath robe, but it
works.

Would I *like* to see Comcast 100% bulletproof?  Sure.  Do I *need* to
see Comcast 100% bulletproof?  No.

Just my $.02

-Jim P.