OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Apr 14 17:11:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:28:00AM -0400, dgolding at gmu.edu wrote:

> Its easy to accuse people of criminality - that's what you just did.
> How
> about some proof?
>
> Cogent's ratios are very very bad. That's why some people don't like
> peering with them. Being sent to sales is a common, if regretable
> tactic
> in depeering. However, dealing with Cogent on peering matters is
> incredibly unpleasant. I can understand networks and peering
> coordinators feeling that it just isn't worth it.

Ratio problems can be solved without hurting customers.  Time and time
again people use excuses - and most of them really are just excuses -
to depeer people.  Feel free, your network, your choice.

However, as a customer of many big networks, we get to choose too.  And
we think we will stop choosing people who don't play nice with others.

FT can claim "we saw their prefixes through Verio".  Cogent can claim
it was FT's "unilateral decision".  Who cares?  End of day, both
networks are disconnected from a significant fraction of the Internet.

The point of the INTERnet is INTERconnectivity.  Not really that hard,
people.

--
TTFN,
patrick