OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Apr 14 14:02:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:43:49PM +0100, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> > OpenTransit just depeered Cogent.
> >
> > Currently OT sees Cogent behind Sprint/Verio:
> > AS path: 5511 1239 2914 174 13129 I
> >
> > but packets are disapearing in a blackhole.
>
> A colleague of mine at an OLO was telling me
> that when OT de-peered them the contact number
> to discuss it was a France Telecom sales person!
>
> Its kind of like an tyre fitter from kwik fit
> coming over and puncturing your tyres and then
> expecting you to drive into Kwik Fit and pay
> them to fix them uuhhh I don't think so -
> do they honestly think that this type of activity
> is going to generate them any revenue?!

It has nothing to do with generating revenue, and everything to do with
Cogent's disruptive pricing pissing people off. The real question is who
will blink first, since the last time this was tried (a few weeks ago, by
Teleglobe), Cogent won.

For the folks trying this, I have one word of advice:

  Collusion \Col*lu"sion\, n. [L. collusio: cf. F. collusion. See
     {Collude}.]
     1. A secret agreement and cooperation for a fraudulent or
        deceitful purpose; a playing into each other's hands;
        deceit; fraud; cunning.