New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

Brandon Ross bross at internap.com
Thu Apr 14 13:48:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> So, the question remains, does the poster think that
> network operators should band together and operate
> shared anycast recursive DNS services? Or does the poster
> think that network operators should operate many
> recursive DNS servers throughout their infrastructure
> and tie them together using anycast?

I don't know what the other poster(s) were referring to, but I was not
suggesting that network operators try to run some unified DNS
infrastructure.  It is an intriguing idea, however.

> If anycast is a good idea for recursive DNS service, then
> there is a 3rd party business opportunity here to operate
> global recursive DNS services so that network operators can
> focus on running the network, not on providing services
> like DNS resolution.

Perhaps even more interesting is being able to sell anycasted reverse DNS
service directly to users that are connected to incompetent providers.
;-)  Seriously, though, some benefits can be imagined, like being able to
use the same DNS server on my laptop no matter where in the world I plug
in.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
Director, Network Engineering                             ICQ:  2269442