New IANA IPv4 allocation to AfriNIC (41/8)

Doug Barton barton at iana.org
Wed Apr 13 08:39:05 UTC 2005

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 23:42 -0300, Doug Barton wrote:
>

>>This is to inform you that the IANA has allocated the following
>>one (1) IPv4 /8 block to AfriNIC:
>>
>>41/8   AfriNIC
>

> Would you (read: IANA) also be so kind and give them a nice chunk out
> of:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments

There is already a /23 in 2001::/16 that has AfriNIC's name on it, you'll be
hearing more about that tomorr... errr... later today. Allocations of larger
IPv6 blocks are still handled on a case by case basis until there is a
global IPv6 allocation policy developed in the manner described by the new
ASO MOU. A new draft of such a policy will be discussed at ARIN's meeting in
Orlando next week.

> Btw, is there going to be an LACNIC-alike system for transfering
> RIPE/ARIN resources to AfriNIC?

I wouldn't characterize it exactly that way, but resources that have been
held in trust and/or managed by the other RIRs in anticipation of an African
RIR will be transferred. The details of those arrangements are primarily
administrative matters, and while ICANN is happy to assist if necessary, we
have confidence that the RIRs will work this out in due time.

Regards,

Doug

--
Doug Barton
General Manager, The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority