Auerbach Accuses ICANN Board of Dereliction of Duty on IP Allocation

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Wed Apr 13 01:21:40 UTC 2005

>"...and hilarity ensued. Not."
>
>http://www.icannwatch.org/articles/05/04/11/132201.shtml
>
>- ferg

Sigh.  I am certainly not happy to see this and I must confess dismay
that the subject rears its ugly head.  My life has been better since
i stopped paying attention to these people hoping that they would
sink beneath the surface of the sea.

I looked at the Cave Bear blog and saw nothing there that offered any
kind of concise clear picture of WHAT their proposed allocation
policy was and why it was bad.  Does someone have a good succinct
write up?  If so please send me a pointer off list and i will do my
best to get the word out to the folk I reach.

But yeah if you control the IP numbers you have the net by the
jugular.  Vint Cerf sat at a table for 4 with IBM lobbyist Mike
Nelson at dinner on march 30 at David Isenberg's F2C meeting and then
got up and gave a very nice talk on P2P technology and extolled this
as being the best and most existing stuff happening on the net these
days and then THIS?  whatever THIS is?  And of course i don't know
ANY specifics.  But there is enough bum news rumbling around not to
have to add this on top of everything else.

But again before one starts to yell - just what is it that they want
to do and precisely why is it bad?  Two thousand words max please  -
preferably 500 words.  pointer please.  Off list.  One other question
here - is there anything being talked about that could take ICANN in
the direction of approving routing for critical transactions?  I hope
not.

On a different subject for those who have been playing with Skype
have a look at  http://cookreport.com/14.03.shtml   and enjoy.
Software & Phones Computers - Skype & VoIP  at:
http://cookreport.com/14.03.shtml