djbdns: An alternative to BIND

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Tue Apr 12 23:07:46 UTC 2005

Apologies for interrupting the rehash of the protocol wars, but, as a
sometime teacher of trademark law, I must protest.

Under US law at least, a trademark can only be sold as part of a larger
transfer of assets structured to "include" the "goodwill".  Typical
examples include: selling the equipment used to make the good; selling the
whole subsidiary.

To sell just a mark is not usually possible -- it would be the dreaded
"assignment in gross" -- which leads to a finding that the mark is no
longer protected.

(A mark can of course be licensed...but woe to the licensor who does not
monitor the quality of the goods licensed.)

OK. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
                          -->It's cool here.<--