djbdns: An alternative to BIND

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Apr 12 21:18:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:01:44 EDT, Dean Anderson said:

> But I should have said 'purchase the trademark', instead.  Usually, when
> one purchases a copyright, one also gets the trademark. One can purchase
> them separately--Indeed, I just reminded the IETF lawyer of this recently.
> For example, The Open Group owns the trademark for Unix. Novell claimed
> never to have transferred ownership of the patents, and SCO owns the
> copyright.

Just to nitpick, but SCO seems to be unable to produce any paperwork that's
compliant to 17 USC 204(a) actually fulfilling the transfer.  The best they have
is a contract that says they would get such copyrights as they needed to
carry on their Unix licensing business, which doesn't actually itemize the
copyrights transferred.

If it were obvious that SCO owned the copyright, there wouldn't be a slander-of-title
action still going on between SCO and Novell....