Hotmail-- Again??

Matthew Black black at csulb.edu
Tue Apr 12 17:38:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:13:31 -0400
  "Jim McBurnett" <jim at tgasolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Please excuse me for any off topic info here, but I can't seem to find
> the email that had the details of Hotmail's new blocking policy.
>
> Does someone have the name / # handy for the hotmail help line for
> sysadmins?

In researching an answer to your question, I came across the following
information on the MSN website:

    http://advertising.msn.com/adproducts/Email_TechStd.asp

    2. After given a numeric SMTP error response code between 500 and 599
       (also known as a "permanent non-delivery response"), the sender must
       not attempt to retransmit that message to that recipient.

Microsoft Outlook doesn't follow this rule. Outlook perpetually retries
sending messages which encounter an SMTP permanent error between
500 and 599. How interesting that their on-line e-mail service has
rules that prevent use of the parent company's own products.  <8-)

matthew black
california state university, long beach