Dear Linksys: Your broken WET54GS5 makes me sad.

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Apr 12 11:23:35 UTC 2005

> Unless the Linksys router in question can do GigE, I'm not sure most
network
> operators would be interested in buying it. :)

Interestingly enough, the WRT54G is capable of
gigE. First, the firmware in the device is Linux
and it can be upgraded and changed by the owner
in any way that they want. Many people have worked
on an enhanced and open version of the WRT54G
firmware.
http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g

As for gigE, if you open up the WRT54G you will see
that it has a mini-PCI wireless card. Some people
take these out and swap them with the mini-PCI
802.11b card in their laptops to gain a speed boost
in the laptop. But you can put any mini-PCI card in
here that has Linux drivers. And, yes, there are
mini-PCI gigE cards on the market. I don't know if
anyone has tried this yet, but it's only a matter of
time.

We live in interesting times...

> In this case, I do. It's a consumer product.

One way to solve this problem, and recognize that many
IP network operators sell service to consumers as well
as peering, would be to offer the inet-access mailing
list to come under the NANOG umbrella, and then encourage
discussions to move to the appropriate list. There is no
reason why the NANOG community needs to limit itself to
a single-focus mailing list and a single-track conference.

--Michael Dillon