djbdns: An alternative to BIND

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Apr 11 20:41:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Well ok, what maybe wrong is that they still call it AXFR instead of
> clearly calling it something like AXFR-BIND9.

Agreed.

> In any case BIND folks got properly punished for attempting to do it and
> as long as they support standard way and inter-operate with other products
> its fine; and if they think their proprietary way is better for when two
> bind daemons talk to each other, that is fine too and I accept it.

I'm not sure they got "properly punished". They take some criticism for it
now and then.  But that doesn't seem to get them to change anything. Issue
continues unresolved.  Network operators will suffer, sooner or later.

> Well, Paul Vixie wrote bind

Err, no. Myth created by personality cult, perhaps:
http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.0.0/Bv9ARM.9.html

 The first working domain name server, called "Jeeves," was written in
1983-84 by Paul Mockapetris for operation on DEC Tops-20 machines located
at the University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute
(USC-ISI) and SRI International's Network Information Center (SRI-NIC). A
DNS server for Unix machines, the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND)
package, was written soon after by a group of graduate students at the
University of California at Berkeley under a grant from the US Defense
Advanced Research Projects Administration (DARPA). Versions of BIND
through 4.8.3 were maintained by the Computer Systems Research Group
(CSRG) at UC Berkeley. Douglas Terry, Mark Painter, David Riggle and
Songnian Zhou made up the initial BIND project team. After that,
additional work on the software package was done by Ralph Campbell. Kevin
Dunlap, a Digital Equipment Corporation employee on loan to the CSRG,
worked on BIND for 2 years, from 1985 to 1987. Many other people also
contributed to BIND development during that time: Doug Kingston, Craig
Partridge, Smoot Carl-Mitchell, Mike Muuss, Jim Bloom and Mike Schwartz.
BIND maintenance was subsequently handled by Mike Karels and O. Kure.

> and he started ISC later to provide more organization to his work and
> supporting it further, so I really dont see a problem with consdering
> BIND to be ISC product even if original acronym was more general (though
> I doubt he could get it trademarked because of all that)..

ISC was formed much later, in 1994, according to the registration.

Incidentally, CSRG (and consequently BIND) owes more to OSF than to ISC.
CSRG was funded 1/3 each by Dec, HP, and DARPA. In 1990, when DARPA
transferred its funding to CMU for Mach development, the OSF picked up the
funding gap, and that made BSD 4.4 possible.

		--Dean

617 344 9000