SORBS Identity theft alert

Matthew Sullivan matthew at sorbs.net
Mon Apr 11 14:40:36 UTC 2005

Dean Anderson wrote:

>See http://www.iadl.org/sorbs/sorbs-story.html
>
>SORBS seems to be collecting a lot of sensitive information to view
>listings:

All pages on http://www.sorbs.net/ look on the menu for 'Privacy Policy'
(unless you have chosen not to view that menu in the preferences).

Just in case you have a problem reading here's a hint:
http://www.sorbs.net/w3c/privacy.shtml

One typo under 'Changes to the Policy' - the doc id is at the bottom not
the top as stated, too small to warrant an update at this time of night.

>This detailed information could be sold to IT recruiters, used for
>identity theft, password collection, or used for other mass marketing
>purposes.

It could be, but it isn't, and it won't be.

> Security questions are often used by sensitive sites such as
>domain registries to authenticate users who have lost their passwords.

Security question and answer box is for the user to choose a backup
question and answer, don't tell me you didn't understand a simple
concept as that?

>This is very alarming information collection.

This is also way off topic, but I don't think that bothers you.