djbdns: An alternative to BIND

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Sun Apr 10 00:26:44 UTC 2005

Roger Marquis wrote:

> You need only count the lines of code needed by the daemon/s
> servicing requests.  That is, IMO, bind's only major failing.  Too
> much code, too many little used features (nobody I know needs or
> wants rndc), and no way to compile without them.  If you read Bruce
> Schneier, as every developer should, you know how important that
> "Amount of code" is.

While I don't disagree about lines of code, in general, I will remind you
that "nobody" and "everyone" are not sets that you may speak for. I like
rndc (although I preferred ndc). I've been using BIND since BIND 4.{mumble}
(currently at BIND 9 for those machines I retain responsibility for), and
I'd surely rather have all of BIND's little idiosyncrasies that to deal
with AD (now *there's* a nightmare).

--
Open source should be about giving away things voluntarily. When
you force someone to give you something, it's no longer giving, it's