djbdns: An alternative to BIND

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Sat Apr 9 23:32:12 UTC 2005

David Conrad wrote:
>> - Amount of code
>
>Again, what should be counted?  Should you include rsync?  Should you
>include utility programs like check-namedconf, axfr-get, rbldns,
>walldns, walldns-conf, etc.?

You need only count the lines of code needed by the daemon/s
servicing requests.  That is, IMO, bind's only major failing.  Too
much code, too many little used features (nobody I know needs or
wants rndc), and no way to compile without them.  If you read Bruce
Schneier, as every developer should, you know how important that
"Amount of code" is.

All I really want is to "configure --minimal && make && make
install" and not have to fix ISC's ill thought-out defaults (like
/usr/local/etc on Solaris...).

Using bind 8 and 9 but still looking for something better,
--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting