djbdns: An alternative to BIND

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Sat Apr 9 17:13:17 UTC 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 01:14:14AM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
>> Fortunately, if it is a religion, I am agnostic in the BIND vs. DJB
>> war
>> since I work for a company that has created a product that could be
>> argued competes with both... :-).
> Didn't Nominum write BIND9,

Yes, up to 9.2.0, under contract to ISC.

> and doesn't / didn't it provide commercial
> support for it?

Yep.  A commercial necessity if your market is ISPs/telcos.

> I'd think / hope that would give you a slight slant in
> one direction.

I have my preferences, however I'm not religious about it.  DJBDNS is
better than BIND in some scenarios, BIND is better in others.  Neither
is perfect and since our customers use both, I'm interested in
objective measures as opposed to subjective, emotion laden value
judgments.

Rgds,
-drc