BGP Anywhere - Global Redundancy

Steve Gibbard scg at gibbard.org
Thu Apr 7 00:47:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Vandy Hamidi wrote:

> All,
> We're an ASP and are considering adding a secondary Backup Datacenter
> (BDC) in the US to protect our web presence.
>
> My goal is to ensure automatic failover of my Primary DC's (IP) traffic
> to the BDC in the event of a catastrophic failure of the PDC.
>
> I'm considering geographic load balancing and BGP Anywhere as the two
> options.  I'm clear on how the Geo LB works, but have some doubts about
> BGPAW as I've never implemented it before and documentation online is
> pretty weak to non-existent.
>
> Below is how I believe it should be done.
>> From PDC:
> 	-Advertise CIDR block to all peers w/good metric (0 hop count)
>> From BDC:
> 	-Advertise same CIDR block to all peers w/poor metric (+20 hop
> count)

To clarify, you want no traffic coming into the backup site when the
primary site is up, right?

Assuming a random set of peers and upstreams, this won't actually do what
I think you're trying to do.  Since local-preference overrides MEDs and AS
path lengths, and since you don't have control over what goes on in other
networks, you'll likely get some traffic coming into your backup site even
when you don't intend it to.

You could *maybe* get around this by having the same transit provider
(probably just one in this case, which is scary for other reasons) in both
locations.  If you're paying somebody money, you have a much better chance
of getting them to follow your desired routing policy.  Still, it's really
not good to be making a routing announcement somewhere where you don't
want to receive traffic.

You'd probably be better off looking into Cisco's "conditional routing"
feature (I assume other vendors do something similar).  This allows you to
set a router to make an announcement only if it stops receiving some
route, so you could have your backup site look for the primary site to go
away and then start sourcing the route.

Failover time would probably be at most a minute or two, maybe better.

You could also look into various DNS-based ways of doing this.

-Steve