Router choice for medium size hosting provider

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Apr 7 00:19:32 UTC 2005

    > Do  you need BGP?  That's going to make a big difference in what you
    > want to use.   An idea on the number/type of interfaces you need would
    > be helpful as well.

A 2811 will do BGP just fine...  760mb of RAM and plenty of CPU.  In terms
of interfaces, it can nominally take four GigE and eighteen 100Base-T
interfaces, though I believe it's only rated for 4.8gbps total throughput.
How real that number actually is I don't guess we'll know until someone
tries it in the lab.  I haven't had time yet.

                                -Bill