Router choice for medium size hosting provider

Alex Campbell alex at dtdesign.com.au
Thu Apr 7 00:03:03 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new router to connect our data center to our tier 1 ISP
via a 50mbps fibre link.  Does anyone have any advice about what level of
Cisco router would be required to saturate this link?

We're looking at the 2811 but I can't get any real world data about whether
it can route packets at 50mbps - this seems doubtful although unclear from
the information on the Cisco data sheets.

(I'm aware that a cheap PC running Linux could provide similar throughput to
a $20000 Cisco router but for a variety of reasons I'm reluctant to follow
this path).

Thanks,

Alex