Blackhole Routes

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 30 20:07:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 11:43:42AM -0700, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:

> Yes, well, in my case, I go through a dedicated server with multi-hop
> sessions and set a prefix limit of 25 or so so I don't get bombarded
> with 5 billion /32 routes and don't send those routes upstream. (I try
> to play nice when possible.) I expect that the upstreams have various
> defense mechanisms of their own to protect them against me
> misconfiguring my boxes as well. (It only makes sense..)

This tends to work better for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, a
dedicated session with a dedicated prefix-list can easily be configured to
accept up to /32s for blackhole routes only, it can easily be configured
to tag all routes received no-export, and it can easily be placed into a
seperate prefix-limit which will not affect production traffic forwarding
if something goes wrong. Also, if you have customers attached to Juniper
routers, you need to have the sessions configured multihop anyways, in
order to turn on the ability to rewrite next-hop.

That said, it is still absolutely silly that we can't standardize on a
globally accepted blackhole community. A provider with many transit
upstreams who wishes to pass on blackhole routes for their customers could
quickly find themselves with some very messy configs and announcements
trying to get everyones' specific blackhole community in place. I know
we've all been tossing this idea around for a number of years, but if it
hasn't been done already will someone please get this put into a draft
already.