10GE access switch router

Temkin, David temkin at sig.com
Wed Sep 29 15:51:42 UTC 2004

Bill,

	With the right amount of prep work and understanding of how the
stacking works, you can control everything you complained about.

I complained about the same stuff until I read the document that
explains how to:

1) Renumber a switch in the cluster (and all of it's interfaces with it)

2) Hot swap a new switch into the cluster
3) - and this one's sweet - upgrade the s/w on the entire cluster in one
shot, even if they're different models
4) Control which switch is the master so that adding a new switch to the
stack doesn't chance screwing up your configs.
5) Permanently remove all stacking config from the switch

The actual backplane has lived up performance wise in the testing I've
done, but I haven't come anywhere near testing it to 32gbps.

Just the same as thousands of people have wiped out every VLAN on their
network by putting in a switch with a higher VTP revision number with no
VLANs defined, it takes a learning curve to work well with these
suckers.

Granted - the software has been somewhat buggy - but those aren't the
merits I'm debating.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products
_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a6558.html

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email and/or its attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments.  Any review, use, reproduction, disclosure or dissemination of this message or any attachment by an unintended recipient is strictly prohibited.  Neither this message nor any attachment is intended as or should be construed as an offer, solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument.  Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any of their respective affiliates makes any warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of any of the information contained herein or that this message or any of its attachments is free of viruses.