Cisco moves even more to china.

Neil J. McRae neil at DOMINO.ORG
Fri Sep 24 12:49:31 UTC 2004

> Yeah, but don't they already have a company over there that
> is producing Cisco stuff?  Or did I mis-read a lawsuit?

Cisco don't have a choice, they are starting to see the
competition from Chinese companies already - they need to
reduce the cost of manufacturing so that they can stay
competitive and not have to reduce their margins, of which
Cisco regularly state that they will maintain at all costs
in a number of financial statements/briefings. So either they
maintain their business by moving people to China or
they pull the plug on product lines they can't maintain margins on.
In either case people will be laid off, its not a great situation
but it's the push that "we" all make to have things cheaper with more
features in them.

There are a number of companies building networking equipment
in China:

www.huawei.com
www.zte.com.cn
www.harbournetworks.com

They make everything from mobile phones to Long Haul Optical
Systems. A large number of big well known vendors have been making
things in China for years.

I've recently see one of Huawei's "1760 alternative boxes" and
the build quality is fantastic.

Regards,
Neil.