Cisco moves even more to china.

Peter Galbavy peter.galbavy at knowtion.net
Fri Sep 24 08:31:39 UTC 2004

Nicole wrote:
> So.. I guess we will be cranking out those H1b's...Plan to kiss your
> raises
> and or jobs bye bye to some specialized cheap imported Cisco trained
> networking person from China.

There is an implicit assumption here that the objective of 100% of these
trainees will be to move as economic migrants to "the West". Wrong folks.
Very very wrong. Notice how China as a *consumer* is growing faster than
anyone else around ? While there may well be some (what's the right word ?)
"retro-sourcing" of cheap labour into the US (and the EU), I suspect that
once any initial levelling of the field happens, there will be just as much,
if not more, movement the other way.

There is a lot of jingoistic rhetoric here, and not enough rational thought
about the objective - building big networks in the biggest economy of the
near future.

PS I hate *all* certification with a passion, regardless of level and
including things like my BSc which was just a great excuse to drink lots for
a few years. The person doing the selection of candidates should have enough
expertise themselves to make a rational judgement based on a face to face
interview.

Peter