Change of Providers - time to migrate IP addresses

R. Benjamin Kessler bk-lists at kesslerconsulting.com
Thu Sep 23 21:29:19 UTC 2004

Is there a generally-accepted "best practice" that dictates the time frame
for relinquishing address space when changing providers?

I have a client with a /24 from provider X; we've built the infrastructure
for connectivity to provider Y (with new address space from them) but still
have a few hosts that we've not migrated to the new address space.  We'll
certainly be rid of the old addresses within the next 60 days but would like
to terminate the circuit to provider X sooner than that.

I think this is a pretty typical thing but Googling hasn't turned-up too
much in the way of evidence of this.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

I appreciate any feedback from NANOGers.

Thanks,

Ben