FW: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Sep 22 15:27:09 UTC 2004

Alexander Koch <koch at tiscali.net> writes:

> On Wed, 22 September 2004 10:40:30 -0400, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
> [..]
>> Buy an appropriate connectivity product for your home connectivity and
>> the problems go away.  Put your servers in a colo (a la
>> http://www.vix.com/personalcolo/ ) and the problems go away.  It costs
>> more to maintain a zone file that is not created by a perl script (ie,
>> your generic rDNS).  You can expect to pay for this.  Presumably as a
>> Unix sysadmin with 15 years of experience, this is a cost you can
>> afford/justify.
>
> What will that 1U server help me if I am sending stuff from
> my Unix box at home via SMTP to it when my IP block is in
> the various 'dialup' RBLs and ends up in the Received
> headers, so every SA on the way happily scores it rather
> high as these RBLs sum up. What would be gained than at the
> end of it?

Think about what you just wrote -- if things actually worked this way,
nobody who ran SpamAss would ever receive any mail.  :)

(if you're a conspiracy theorist or just weird, set up an ipsec, ssh,
or gre tunnel and call it done).

What's it buy you?  Unblocked ports, control of in-addrs associated
with your addresses, data center UPSes, data center cooling, (still
subject to Acts of God as recent experiences in NoVA showed, but
that's life), not having your *server* in a block that is identified
as dialup.

                                        ---Rob