FW: The worst abuse e-mail ever, sverige.net

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Tue Sep 21 18:49:07 UTC 2004

on Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:11:11PM -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:

<snip good info>

> 2) for dialup, DSL and Cable users on dynamic ports who should not
> generally be running servers, name the INADDR with something like:
>
>     w-x-y-z.dialup.example.net
>     w-x-y-z.dynamic.example.net
>
> or similar. I don't care what scheme you want to use to the LEFT of
> 'dialup.example.com' or 'dynamic.example.com' but please put the
> information about these being dynamic blocks in a place where they can be
> filtered using simple mechanisms (i.e. without regex overheads).
>
> With the naming above, it's easy to filter out dialup.example.com in the
> access lists of mail servers without any worries. Users coming in from
> those addresses using authenticated connections to the submission port will
> work fine, while spam direct from those machines will not work.
>
> Many ISPs do this quite well. While it's still some work for the receiving
> systems vs. port 25 filtering, it sure beats guessing about remote
> topologies.

FYI - I've been tracking rDNS naming conventions for many ISPs for the
past year and a half. (Basically, if your network is secure, I don't
know about you - I only track rDNS for hosts that relay spam or spew
viruses at me). Of the approximately 4800 networks (by domain) I've
tracked, 1935 are known to be in the US, Mexico, or Canada. Of those,
509 have some form of RHS-friendly rDNS. Roughly 26%. Better than last
year, but still pretty bad.

cgocable.ca         cabletv.on.ca       aci.on.ca           eastlink.ca
powergate.ca        primus.ca           sympatico.ca        ubc.ca
uoguelph.ca         uniserve.ca         utoronto.ca         videotron.ca
netidea.bc.ca       ulaval.ca           ualberta.ca         dal.ca
uottawa.ca          uwo.ca              connection.ca       terago.ca
accesscomm.ca       ucc-net.ca          sfu.ca              yorku.ca
ncf.ca              rushcomm.ca         eol.ca              mcgill.ca
oricom.ca           vdn.ca              amdsb.ca            umontreal.ca
cyberus.ca          knet.ca             magma.ca            mcmaster.ca
usherbrooke.ca      cgi.ca              unb.ca              sprintdsl.ca
aol.com             aracnet.com         atlantabroadband.com attbi.com
insightbb.com       mchsi.com           bbtel.com           ccapcable.com
cerfnet.com         charter.com         dancris.com         execulink.com
mindspring.com      nexband.com         rcn.com             redshift.com
ripnet.com          rogers.com          rr.com              theplanet.com
wideopenwest.com    xmission.com        cablenet-va.com     charter-ala.com
cox-internet.com    quik.com            gvtc.com            bah.com
lan2wan.com         westelcom.com       power1.com          mdsg-pacwest.com
eschelon.com        gvtel.com           nettally.com        octapus.com
firstlink.com       hbci.com            iinet.com           naxs.com
ntplx.com           tfb.com             srtnet.com          theriver.com
vcn.com             visi.com            webhostplus.com     winbeam.com
gtlakes.com         varian.com          royaume.com         primarydns.com
netdoor.com         registeredsite.com  bearingpoint.com    core.com
tvc-ip.com          teksavvy.com        opt2opt.com         quiknet.com
srt.com             pcspeed.com         cadvision.com       mynethost.com
800hosting.com      scrtc.com           speede.com          warpdriveonline.com
wavecable.com       lightyearcom.com    midmaine.com        prairieweb.com
c2bandwidth.com     innercite.com       cintelecom.com      hyperusa.com
seanet.com          cwia.com            mcttelecom.com      osp-chicago.com
primenet.com        fire2wire.com       calltech.com        anobi.com
telus.com           hyatthsiagx.com     spiritone.com       aesirnetworks.com
foxinternet.com     willscot.com        acetechusa.com      aeanetwork.com
alabanza.com        arishost.com        calpop.com          computechnv.com
datapeer.com        fatcow.com          iwaynetworks.com    linuxwebnet.com
mobilenetics.com    skybitz.com         tir.com             unitedcolo.com
zedcom.com          zoolink.com         crestviewcable.com  mipops.com
neteze.com          wilnet1.com         conninc.com         asu.edu
berkeley.edu        brown.edu           bucknell.edu        cmich.edu
cmu.edu             colorado.edu        columbia.edu        cornell.edu
csulb.edu           csuohio.edu         dartmouth.edu       duke.edu
ecu.edu             fsu.edu             furman.edu          gac.edu
gatech.edu          harvard.edu         hawaii.edu          indiana.edu
msu.edu             ncsu.edu            nodak.edu           pepperdine.edu
psu.edu             purdue.edu          rit.edu             siu.edu
swt.edu             tamu.edu            ttu.edu             ua.edu
ucla.edu            ucsd.edu            uga.edu             uh.edu
uidaho.edu          uiowa.edu           uiuc.edu            umass.edu
umd.edu             umich.edu           unc.edu             unt.edu
upenn.edu           uri.edu             usf.edu             utexas.edu
utk.edu             utoledo.edu         uwec.edu            vt.edu
wsu.edu             wwu.edu             drexel.edu          brockport.edu
macalester.edu      ou.edu              arizona.edu         mnscu.edu
wustl.edu           ilstu.edu           uci.edu             clarkson.edu
missouri.edu        ncat.edu            usc.edu             uky.edu
yale.edu            ufl.edu             vanderbilt.edu      clemson.edu
du.edu              kent.edu            trinity.edu         upr.edu
csuchico.edu        depaul.edu          bloomu.edu          cmsu.edu
msoe.edu            neu.edu             utah.edu            uaf.edu
alaska.edu          trincoll.edu        marshall.edu        pitt.edu
northwestern.edu    temple.edu          maine.edu           albany.edu
uno.edu             virginia.edu        cwru.edu            emich.edu
tcu.edu             buffalo.edu         byu.edu             uconn.edu
rpslmc.edu          emory.edu           vcu.edu             unco.edu
cabrini.edu         wm.edu              pdx.edu             carleton.edu
jhu.edu             mtu.edu             utc.edu             ualr.edu
colostate.edu       washington.edu      uwp.edu             nyu.edu
gsu.edu             smu.edu             wisc.edu            wilkes.edu
roch.edu            uchicago.edu        iupui.edu           okstate.edu
cablered.com.mx     podernet.com.mx     avantel.net.mx      infosel.net.mx
alestra.net.mx      1st.net             21stcentury.net     acsalaska.net
adelphia.net        airmail.net         algx.net            allstream.net
alltel.net          ameritech.net       att.net             attwireless.net
bellatlantic.net    bresnan.net         bright.net          btitelecom.net
centurytel.net      cgocable.net        chartertn.net       comcast.net
comporium.net       cnc.net             coretel.net         covad.net
cox.net             cypresscom.net      dsl.net             earthlink.net
eatel.net           enter.net           frontiernet.net     genuity.net
globetrotter.net    graceba.net         grandecom.net       grouptelecom.net
gtei.net            gte.net             igs.net             ij.net
infoave.net         iowatelecom.net     level3.net          madisonriver.net
mcleodusa.net       mnsi.net            mountaincable.net   mts.net
navix.net           netins.net          networktel.net      nextweb.net
ntelos.net          nvbell.net          one.net             optonline.net
pacbell.net         personainc.net      ptd.net             prserv.net
quickclic.net       qwest.net           ricochet.net        rmci.net
shawcable.net       sigecom.net         snet.net            speakeasy.net
starband.net        surewest.net        swbell.net          tds.net
telus.net           telusplanet.net     tht.net             twtelecom.net
uslec.net           uswest.net          uu.net              verizon.net
voyager.net         warwick.net         xo.net              e-nt.net
k-state.net         sprint-canada.net   sprint-hsd.net      terranova.net
nauticom.net        socket.net          ziplink.net         epix.net
kci.net             kmcmail.net         abac.net            earthnet.net
gwtc.net            ctsmail.net         accessus.net        aloha.net
beld.net            above.net           stargate.net        redwing.net
chilitech.net       uswo.net            logical.net         golden.net
win.net             verio.net           tachyon.net         chartermi.net
sherbtel.net        charterpipeline.net mercury.net         lmi.net
concentric.net      airstreamcomm.net   alerondial.net      arrival.net
atlantech.net       atlantic.net        bluegrass.net       charlevoix.net
corecomm.net        evertek.net         frii.net            garlic.net
hargray.net         hicv.net            inter.net           intermonde.net
internorth.net      iquest.net          mwt.net             prairieinet.net
rcnetworks.net      restel.net          wcom.net            velocitus.net
wt.net              vnet.net            brightok.net        spacestar.net
digitalpath.net     hexcom.net          shentel.net         qx.net
comcastbusiness.net volcano.net         qis.net             fcc.net
dandy.net           interdial.net       psi.net             lan2wan.net
pacificcoast.net    impulse.net         incentre.net        forethought.net
sover.net           itlnet.net          grandenetworks.net  llix.net
openband.net        tns.net             dsl-only.net        metalink.net
mich.net            dasia.net           hereintown.net      cwis.net
sunset.net          thebiz.net          donobi.net          mw.net
nac.net             speedfactory.net    sbcglobal.net       texas.net
alliancecom.net     westpa.net          uiowa.net           rrv.net
bway.net            axs2000.net         centennialpr.net    cfu.net
kansas.net          anc.net             acceleration.net    ao.net
aoltw.net           alter.net           cari.net            eli.net
sfl.net             dti.net             santel.net          exatt.net
swva.net            fastfreedom.net     mzima.net           rnetinc.net
hiwaay.net          imaginenet.net      cloud9.net          ncia.net
infocrossing.net    inreach.net         lincon.net          mags.net
mfnx.net            mcisi.net           sagonet.net         servint.net
sitestream.net      worldspice.net      shreve.net          xtelegent.net
island.net          means.net           relia.net           hickorytech.net
brtc.net            luhs.org            pmt.org             wbdl.org
carrollton.al.us

NOTE: not everyone listed here uses RHS-friendly rDNS consistently, these
are just the folks we've managed to discover are using it at all.

<snip even more good info>

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/web_designer.html       join us!
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!