SkyCache/Cidera replacement?

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Tue Sep 21 13:05:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 07:54:09PM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> Assuming I wanted to go about setting up an NNTP server, how would I go
> about getting and maintaining the feeds?  There's no "central" authority
> AFAIK, but does anyone have any knowledge as to relative price and/or
> bandwidth consumption?

You get a feed mostly by knowing someone who gives it to
you. Sometimes knowing somebody who knows somebody else who can give it to
you also works. More hops are generally a problem.

Bandwidth consumption strongly depends on what newsgroups you will be
having on your newsserver. On a small local hierarchy the
9600Bd Modem might still do. For a full feed >100Mbit/s are needed.

Nils