SkyCache/Cidera replacement?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 21 02:20:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Majdi Abbas wrote:

> 	Jon, I recall some reported problems along those lines.  That
> even without binaries, they were running out of overhead.  Given that
> USENET volume tends to grow, I'm betting that it would require a lot
> more capacity now.

We were customers up until some months before they folded...and even
though we canceled about the same time they tried to "jack up" the monthly
rates (I think our take it or leave us rate increase was 3x), we were kept
on their mailing lists...so we kept getting notifications from them.
"Sorry guys, we're going out of business.  Oh wait, no we're not.
Hmm...yeah, we are."

IIRC, we were getting regular complaints from a handful of users about
incomplete multipart posts and groups missing articles...I know, different
versions of the same problem.  We were also busting at the seams of our
drive space and chose to outsource rather than build an even bigger
server.

AFAIK, we still have one or more dishes and several receivers kicking
around somewhere.