SkyCache/Cidera replacement?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Sep 21 01:53:54 UTC 2004

On Sep 20, 2004, at 7:54 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Majdi Abbas wrote:
>
> I'll bite, and reveal my ultimate cluelessness here.
>
> Assuming I wanted to go about setting up an NNTP server, how would I
> go about getting and maintaining the feeds?  There's no "central"
> authority AFAIK, but does anyone have any knowledge as to relative
> price and/or bandwidth consumption?

First, you go out and buy the biggest server you can find,  buy more
drive space than you can afford.  Then,  buy more.  You *may* be able
to get a feed from your upstream service providers.  You'll want to
have at least 2 feeds and you should have at least OC-3 to each
provider to handle the feeds.  Don't expect much of the OC-3 left over
for other uses.  In a couple days you'll have all the warez and pr0n
you'll ever need.