RIP in Operation

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Thu Sep 16 16:17:24 UTC 2004

We use RIP extensively on the edges of our network to build a Layer3
routed overlay between 3550/3750 switches and our 6500-based core.  At
$2k/list for the EMI license PER SWITCH ($4k for 3750s), it just wasn't
feasible for us to use EMI just for OSPF when all we were really
announcing was a loopback and a /30 connected network.

We route filter and tune the RIP times down quite a bit.  Meets our needs
on the edges.

Robert
University of Wisconsin Madison