Network Configuration Management Practices

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Wed Sep 15 09:25:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:27:20AM -0700, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> One more thing. We tried to review _proposed changes_ and _changed applied_.
> Practice showed, that it is impossible to see errors in proposed updates,
> even if 3 - 4 engineers review it (not design flaws, but syntac and
> semantics errors), so we did not got many use from pre-change reviews
> (except design ones). But we got extremely high profit from post-change
> reviews (verifying, what really changed on the router / firewall after
> maintanance window) - it allows to see some unwanted changes and avoid few
> possible service disruptions.

	This doesn't seem to scale too well. When you have frequent changes
(i.e. many access devices) the diff load becomes unmanageably large.
	My ideal would be to have a network monitoring tool which compares the
actual network against a configured baseline. The presumption would be that
if the network matches what have been set forth as engineering rules, I don't
really care what the specific settings are.
	Currently we do something sort of halfway: archive the actual configs
and then run audit scripts against them, which parse the configs. Definitely
not ideal but it helps catch simpler errors. One of these days when I have
extra cycles.. (yeah, right)

	Austin