Open-Source Network Management Tools

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Wed Sep 15 17:02:05 UTC 2004

Claydon, Tom wrote:

>I'm looking for open-source alternatives for network management, such as
>Nagios or Big Brother. We are currently using WhatsUp Gold, and would
>like to move to something more flexible (and not running on a Windows
>platform). Something that has email/paging capabilities, and can process
>SNMP traps would be a plus for us as well.
>
>Recommendations?
>
>Thanks.

I'll add remstats (http://remstats.sourceforge.net/release/)
The big strength of it I found over other systems is it integrates
monitoring and alerting (a la nagios) with visual trending, which makes
it much easier to see what your alerts should be set at and if you need
to start worrying.

There's kind of been parallel development - the sourceforge version has
some new features, another train I have has a lot of performance
enhancements to allow different periods of polling; multiple snmp
collectors to distribute load; parallized collections, etc.