Email Complexes

joe joej at rocknyou.com
Wed Sep 15 09:43:28 UTC 2004

Hi Joe,

    I was wondering when this question was going to be posted, so alas.
I was having an issue where email (at my company) was on occassion,
for various reasons, slow (i.e. messages were getting stuck either outbound
or inbound). Of course by the time this was noticed the user tickets started
flying in. So what I ended up doing was writting some scripts (for
linux/unix)
to do a test that provides a nice little webpage showing typical transaction
times for email on a roundtrip basis. One of the biggest problems was that
the internal email servers are MSExchange, so theres was little control I
had
over that portion, other than to show how long an email took to leave
my Linux system, then get received back to that system.

Works well if your NOC/Helpdesk doesn't mind looking at a webpage on
a periodic basis, and I suppose one could modify it to do automated
paging.

Contact me off list if interested, I don't wish to get to OT here.

Regards
-Joe Blanchard