Open-Source Network Management Tools

John Kinsella jlk at thrashyour.com
Tue Sep 14 19:59:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:47:45PM -0500, Claydon, Tom wrote:
> I'm looking for open-source alternatives for network management, such as
> Nagios or Big Brother. We are currently using WhatsUp Gold, and would
> like to move to something more flexible (and not running on a Windows
> platform). Something that has email/paging capabilities, and can process
> SNMP traps would be a plus for us as well.

Christ, WhatsUp Gold...that's giving me flashbacks!
Have you checked out...
http://www.nagios.org
http://www.bb4.org ?
:)

I suspect what you might be looking for is something like OpenNMS,
http://www.opennms.org

There's a few other packages out there, but IMHO they all suck in one
way or another.

John