Gb ethernet interface keeping dropping packet in ingress

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Sep 14 03:45:32 UTC 2004

If you're sniffing one gigabit port from a switch with much higher
bandwidth, you're going to lose something.  Our primary sensor sits on
an aggregation switch just prior to hitting the net, and we have a 2Gb
fast etherchannel span port defined and lose relatively little in terms
of packet loss.  If course, the more aggregate traffic you have, the
higher the probability you will max out the span port and it's buffers.
Unless you're just drilling the heck out of the server farm(s) on that
switch, you won't lose all that much with an etherchannel of 2 Gig
ports.  We have 2Gb etherchannel uplinks back to the core, and the most
the switch could throw at us would be 2Gb etherchannel traffic.  So we
are spanning the uplinks there.

Just as your switches/routers can be "over subscribed" the the 4506
backplane is only 6Gb/slot, and we don't lose that much, and some of
that loss is due to buffer constraints on the switch.  Not perfect, but
it works.  In less critical ennvironments, we can sniff with a 100Mb
interface and still do well.

The only caution here is that you can seldom catch local traffic.  If
there's a local scanner (like Blaster started out to be) it doesn't show
up except for excessive arps.  We have some cron'ed scripts that
periodically (1) look at connection counts in the PIX, if they're out of
"range), we quarantine them to the Perfigo dungeon.  Similarly there is
a script that counts ARP requests (just the dorms specifically right
now) and for every 1000 it forks itself to start anew, and analyzes the
numer of ARPS per station.  Local scanners get eaten up here really
quickly and they are also quarantined.

Not how sure this fits into NANOG, this is more of a local
ISP/Universiity setting.  I don't know that an ISP can do that much,
they're too busy keeping the packets flowing and being only minimally
intrusive on your traffic without special arrangements, at least as a
usual case.  Special cases like Slammer, Blaster, and the initial
Bagel/MyDoom mix some may have initiated ingress/egress filters for
those, temporarily.

You should be able to handle an OC-12 with a gig interface or two on the
sensor.  I wouldn't make any claims for an OC-48 or above.  These things
don't scale well into the certral peering points (MAE, Abilene, etc);.

Jeff