Ivan and outages

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Sun Sep 12 17:51:19 UTC 2004

I have some involvement with a telecom/internet company located in
Grenada. This was sent to me in the last day or so.

> With reference to staff in Grenada, 4 out of 6 involved people are
> accounted for. The country as you are probably aware has lost over half
> it's buildings. Over 90% of the ones left are damaged. The electricity
> will not be restored to the island for an estimated 3-4 months and
> communications are currently only possible from cellphones in a couple
> of places.
>
> The office roof collapsed destroying the office and with the rain that
> followed, anything remaining un damaged was then drowned.  (Technician)
> has collected all the hardware and is attempting to dry it out, however
> without electricity and with the current state of emergency, we can
> neither test it or fly it out of the country.

Apparently, there country is under military control; no people allowed in
our out. "State of Disaster" has been proclaimed.

Also, it is being said that there is a general food shortage.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --