30 Gmail Invites

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Sep 12 15:08:57 UTC 2004

On Sep 12, 2004, at 8:05 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

>> Maybe those of you who created accounts using the links provided by
>> todd
>> could post some invites.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  No more Gmail on NANOG!

> Before anyone does such a moronic thing, please note that all people
> subscribed here, or reading the archives, now and for the future have
> access to the accounts from those links publicly posted. The privacy
> concerns noted by some are actually unique to gmail, and are real (for
> example, anyone accepting one of those is then known to the original
> poster). In addition, you will be joining the crowd of people that
> have demonstrated a genuine lack of regard for the charter of nanog,
> or its core audience.

I think you are confused.

So someone who invited you to Gmail now knows you have a Gmail account.
  BFD.  This creates exactly _zero_ privacy concerns.  (Someone knowing
your Gmail account is not a privacy concern as you knew going in they
would know your account.)

Your privacy concerns are either nonexistent, or they apply to any
non-personally-run mail server.  (And probably many personally run mail
servers.)

I repeat, if you have issues with Gmail, block Gamil on your own mail
server and quit bothering the rest of us.

--
TTFN,
patrick