30 Gmail Invites

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sun Sep 12 04:12:14 UTC 2004

> From owner-nanog at merit.edu  Sat Sep 11 21:58:47 2004
> From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb at research.att.com>
> To: Paul Vixie <vixie at vix.com>
> Cc: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: 30 Gmail Invites
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:54:16 -0400
>

> In message <g38ybgi5nd.fsf at sa.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
> >
> >i still can't understand why anyone would want a gmail account, free or not.
> >
> >not just "anyone on nanog".  anyone, anywhere, ever.  the reasons "why not"
> >are compelling enough.  but there are no counterbalancing reasons "why to",
> >either compelling or otherwise.
>
> I agree.  The privacy implications are *really* scary.  (And they're
> sufficiently worse for non-subscribers that I've contemplated blocking
> gmail-bound messages from my (personal) systems.)
>
> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb
>

> From owner-nanog at merit.edu  Sat Sep 11 21:58:47 2004
> From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb at research.att.com>
> To: Paul Vixie <vixie at vix.com>
> Cc: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: 30 Gmail Invites
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:54:16 -0400
>

> In message <g38ybgi5nd.fsf at sa.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
> >
> >i still can't understand why anyone would want a gmail account, free or not.
> >
> >not just "anyone on nanog".  anyone, anywhere, ever.  the reasons "why not"
> >are compelling enough.  but there are no counterbalancing reasons "why to",
> >either compelling or otherwise.
>
> I agree.  The privacy implications are *really* scary.  (And they're
> sufficiently worse for non-subscribers that I've contemplated blocking
> gmail-bound messages from my (personal) systems.)

While we're on  _that_ subject, what about Postini, or Brightmail, or -any-
other big provider (e.g. SBC/Yahoo) that handles mail for multiple 'client'
domains?

Every one of those folks also reads and analyzes everybody's incoming mail,
including correlating it with mail sent to other destination on their systems.
AND correlating source (IP address and/or email address) with content.